Monday 30 September 2013

Roadblocks in development of regional football



For an assignment I was supposed to cover the first semi-final match in the Inter-Collegiate Football Championship. 
Coincidentally this was my first-ever live football match. Honestly there weren't many expectations attached, probably due to my obsession for cricket.

Contrary to this, a renewed enthusiasm and energy could be felt in the air which amazed me. The close game successfully evoked my interest. My pre-conceived notion forced me to contemplate the reasons behind the bias by the large set of which I am only a small element.

Knowing that in Jammu, ‘bat’ is given utmost priority while other sports are considered inferio, I tried to find reasons behind such a bias. I interacted with the officials,players and their supporters. A group of players tried to narrate the real scenario. 

According to them, quality infrastructure in the city is missing. And the grounds at their disposal aren't maintained properly by the authorities. For the players there are no facilities of locker rooms, water tanks etc available on the grounds. Most of the time, due to religious functions and national holidays like Independence Day, these grounds are hired by the authorities concerned and the players are left disappointed.



The players complain about the lack of exposure. Not many tournaments are organised by the sports department. According to sources, last national match played was in 2012 between Mohun Began and J&K. The football players feel that the government as well as the authorities concerned should at least make an effort to upgrade the infrastructure, promote the game and further request the parents to encourage and support their children towards the game.



No comments:

Post a Comment